3.7/5 (3 Reviews)
Minty Dollar Cocktail Recipe
Created by Death to Sour Mix: The minty dollar is a variation to a Mint Julep. So what is a mint Julep and how is it a craft cocktail? If anything, this is one of those deceptive drinks that look simple but to really enjoy one like it was intended, it does require some proper technique. At its most basic, it’s bourbon, water, fire, heart! That’s it. But its getting all those pieces to work together is where the craft comes in.
Serve in a Mint Julep Cup
- 2 oz Maker’s Mark Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- 1/2 oz Fernet Branca
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 1/8 oz St. George Absinthe Verte
- ~10 mint leaves
Garnish: Mint Sprig
How to Make
- Take the mint leaves in your hand and lightly rub them all around the inside of your cup.
- Fill your cup 3/4 of the way with crushed ice.
- Measure and pour the bourbon, Fernet, absinthe and simple syrup into the cup.
- Take a spoon and while holding the cup from the top, stir it in a fast up & down motion.
- Now top up the cup with crushed ice to make it look nice and round.
- Take a couple of the nicest mint sprigs you can find and slap them a bit before pinning them in the cup. Add a straw and done.
The garnish being paramount in a Mint Julep, take a couple of the nicest mint sprigs you can find and slap them a bit before pinning them in the cup. Add a straw and you’re all set.
With regards to ice, if you have an ice crusher, a) God bless you and b) Can I borrow it forever? If not, I find that a mallet and Lewis bag do the work just fine; With the added bonus of it being one hell of a stress relief.
Some folks like using mint-infused simple syrup and that’s probably the easiest and best way to get the great mint flavor combined but if you want to be a fancy southern belle (and who doesn’t?!), a silver cup is the way to go, and that calls for rubbing/muddling the mint around the borders of the cup.
I don’t own any silver (It’s not like I’m hunting werewolves or some shit) so I took a red ‘Dixie’ cup and painted it silver. Problem solved.