The Minty Dollar
A mint julep recipe is not complete without a Mint Julep Cup. Here’s how to prepare it:
- 2 oz Maker’s Mark Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- 1/2 oz Fernet Branca
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 1/8 oz St. George Absinthe Verte
- ~10 mint leaves
Garnish: Mint Sprig
How to Make
- Take the mint leaves in your hand and lightly rub them all around the inside of your cup.
- Fill your cup 3/4 of the way with crushed ice.
- Measure and pour the bourbon, Fernet, absinthe and simple syrup into the cup.
- Take a spoon and while holding the cup from the top, stir it in a fast up & down motion.
- Now top up the cup with crushed ice to make it look nice and round.
- Take a couple of the nicest mint sprigs you can find and slap them a bit before pinning them in the cup. Add a straw and enjoy this mint julep recipe.
The garnish being paramount in a mint julep recipe, take a couple of the nicest mint sprigs you can find and slap them a bit before pinning them in the cup. Add a straw and you’re all set.
With regards to ice, if you have an ice crusher, a) God bless you and b) Can I borrow it forever? If not, I find that a mallet and Lewis bag do the work just fine; With the added bonus of it being one hell of a stress relief.
Some folks like using mint-infused simple syrup for their mint julep recipe and that’s probably the easiest and best way to get the great mint flavor combined but if you want to be a fancy southern belle (and who doesn’t?!), a silver cup is the way to go, and that calls for rubbing/muddling the mint around the borders of the cup.
I don’t own any silver (It’s not like I’m hunting werewolves or some shit) so I took a red ‘Dixie’ cup and painted it silver. Problem solved. Mint julep recipe complete.
Where Did the Mint Julep Recipe Come From?
The mint julep recipe originated in the southern United States. This drink is typically enjoyed by people who live in this region, and it is often served at events such as horse races and other sporting events.
So why drink the mint julep recipe? Well, there are many reasons! First of all, this drink is incredibly refreshing and it will cool you down on a hot day. Additionally, the mint julep is a very tasty drink and it will satisfy your craving for something sweet.
Finally, this drink is really easy to make and it only takes a few minutes to prepare. So if you are looking.