Mint Julep Cocktail Recipe
Serve the Mint Julep Cocktail in a Julep Cup or Collins glass
- 8-12 fresh mint leaves
- 2 shots bourbon
- 3/4 shot simple syrup
Garnish: 2 mint sprigs
Tools & Equipment
How to Make
- Clap the mint leaves in your hand then add them to your shaker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to your shaker.
- Shake hard for 10-15 seconds.
- Strain into a julep cup filled with crushed ice & lightly stir.
- Crown with crushed ice.
- Slap the mint sprigs on the side of your hand before adding them as a garnish.
Mint Julep Cocktails are a time-honored Southern cocktail that just begs to be enjoyed on a hot summer day. Made with Kentucky bourbon, muddled mint leaves, simple syrup, and ice cubes, Mint Juleps are refreshing with a hint of sweetness. The Mint Julep has long been the traditional beverage of choice at the Kentucky Derby and its increasing popularity over the years.
Why the Cup Matters With a Mint Julep Cocktail
A Mint Julep today is often served in a silver julep cup but some purists insist that plastic cups maintain the flavor of the drink better by keeping everything cold. No matter which cup you choose, Mint Juleps offer up more than just a taste; they serve as reminders to relax and take life a little slower.