La Muerte Chiquita
Serve in a Rocks Glass
- 1 1/2 oz (45ml) mezcal
- 1/4 oz (7.5ml) allspice dram
- 1/4 oz (7.5ml) absinthe
- 1 1/2 oz (45ml) mandarin orange juice
- 2 dashes of Taza Chocolate Mexicano Extract
- 2 dashes of Bittermen’s Xocolatl Mole bitters
Garnish: 1 Mandarin Wheel
How to Make
- Prepare your glass with an absinthe rinse (like you would a Sazerac):
- Fill a rocks glass with crushed ice and distribute the absinthe over it.
- This will coat the glass with absinthe and help chill the glass.
- Pour all the other ingredients into a shaker and shake hard for 15 seconds.
- Ditch the ice from the rocks glass which should now have a lovely absinthe aroma.
- Strain into the rinsed glass.
- Add cubed ice (optional).
- Garnish with a flamed mandarin wheel and enjoy this mezcal recipe.
The xocolatl mole bitters are a must in La Muerte Chiquita but the real treat is the chocolate extract that Taza (MA local) and Bitterman’s made, which gives this mezcal recipe a rich flavor. To round it out, you have the dram which is basically being all creepy and coy (like Ally Sheedy in the Breakfast Club) until the very end, where it comes out, almost enhanced by the smokiness making it a pleasure to sip.
Fun fact: Initial trial runs of La Muerte Chiquita had tabasco and creme de cacao which work well with a mezcal recipe but didn’t do it for me here. I wanted this to be a mix of a Monkey Gland & 20th Century, while maintaining some of the more traditional aspects of mezcal.