Heart of Darkness (Dark ‘N’ Stormy Variation)
You’ll find that the Heart of Darkness Cocktail is remarkably easy to drink and if you enjoy Thai food (I do and I find that remarkably easy to eat. All of it) then this is a drink that’ll have a lot of those familiar flavors and aromas.
Serve in a Collins Glass
- 1 3/4 oz Sailor Jerry spiced rum
- 1/4 oz St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 3/4 oz palm sugar / lemongrass simple
- 3/4 oz tamarind juice
- 1 wedge of lime (bout an 1/8 of a lime in size)
Garnish: Lemongrass, lime wheel and a kaffir lime leaf
How to Make
- Shake all of the above and strain into a Collins glass with some fresh ice.
- Top up with ginger beer
- Garnish with a stick of lemongrass, a lime wheel and a kaffir lime leaf.
The Heart of Darkness cocktail is a take on the Dark ‘N’ Stormy which is pretty much a rum based Moscow Mule. So to make it more interesting, and add the flare of the Heart of Darkness Cocktail, I added a lot of South East Asian flavors to make it more unique.
Instead of using regular simple, take 1 part palm sugar (natural sugars from coconut trees) to equal part water; Add to that a couple 4″ pieces of fresh lemongrass (pro tip: beat them up a bit with a muddler to loosen up the fibers and release its flavors). Boil. simmer. cool. strain. bottle. You know the drill.