Gojira Cocktail Recipe
Serve in a Rocks Glass
- 1 1/2 oz (45ml) Tanqueray Gin
- 1 oz (30ml) manzanilla sherry
- 3/4 oz (22.5ml) simple syrup
- 1/2 barspoon of matcha tea
- Absinthe rinse
Garnish: 1 sprig of lemon verbena
How to Make
- Add the gin, sherry and matcha to your Boston shaker
- Stir well with your bar spoon
- Add the simple syrup
- Fill the cocktail shaker to the brim with cubed ice and shake hard for 15-20 seconds
- Rinse your rocks glass with 5-10ml of absinthe
- Double strain into the absinthe rinse glass
- Top with fresh ice
- Garnish with a sprig of lemon verbena
Matcha will not be for everyone. Lets just get that out there right now. It’s kind of thick and obviously has a prominent herbal flavor to it (well, I mean, its pulverized green tea leaves basically) that wont appeal to those that dont fancy tea so much but much like egg whites or powdered sugar, it gives the drink an interesting mouth feel. Kind of like when you share a drink with someone who has a little something on their lip that you couldnt figure out what it was until it was too late. Just. Like. That.
You dont need a fancy bamboo tea whisk for this but it just helps in breaking down the powder so you’re not chewing this shit like its boba tea, but it helps. Stirring it with a spoon works just fine, plus you’re gonna shake the crap out of it later AND double strain it so relax.
The final bit is lemon verbena, which is lovely and I want to carry it with me everywhere I go because I am all but certain that is highly addictive stuff. It gives the drink a bright citrus aroma that’s perhaps more inviting than mint and it blends the notes from the tea, the floral gin and acidity of the manzanilla sherry all together and right up in your face.
If you can’t find lemon verbena, garnish with a lemon twist instead.