- Rye whiskey: 2 oz
- Averna Amaro: 1 oz
- Angostura bitters: 1 dash
- Orange bitters: 1 dash
- Cocktail cherry for garnish
Tools & Equipment
How to Make
- Combine whiskey, Averna Amaro, and the bitters in a mixing glass with ice
- Stir well and strain into a chilled glass
- Garnish with a cocktail cherry
The Black Manhattan was created in the early 20th century as a variation of the traditional Manhattan cocktail. The main difference between the two drinks is that black version replaces vermouth with Averna amaro. This gives the drink a slightly more bitter flavor, which some people prefer over the sweeter taste of a traditional manhattan.
Whether you’re a fan of the traditional manhattan or are looking to try something new, the black manhattan is definitely worth checking out.